Definition of Alerta Verde
The Alerta Verde (green alert) is issued when the presence of some meteorological phenomenon is detected, be it tropical storm or cyclone, with the possibility of evolving and causing damage. This announcement alert presents the uncertainty or that the event will occur or not, although this is not all that Alerta Verde (green alert) means.
In this type of alert, routine activities can continue as normal but with the caution that anything can happen. When they warn us this alert at the end of the danger it gives us the light to continue with our normal rhythm of life.
What to do during a alerta verde?
- Plan an evacuation route.
- Contact your local emergency management office or Red Cross section to ask about the hurricane community preparedness plan. This plan should include information on the safest evacuation routes and nearby shelters.
- Get familiar with safe interior routes.
- Prepare to travel 20 to 50 km inland to find a safe place.
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- Portable radio, with batteries and extra batteries.
- First aid kit and manual.
- Food and emergency water.
- Essential drugs
- Cash and credit cards.
- Sturdy shoes
- Disconnect gas and electricity sources.
- Teach children how and when to call emergency services, the police or fire department, and the radio station to tune in and listen to emergency information.
- Protect your windows.
- Cut dead or weak branches from trees.
- Verify that the insurance policy is in force (fully paid or without delay in installment payments), that the contracted coverage includes hydrometterological risks (flood and / or hurricane risks), that the amounts insured comply with the value of the building and the content.
- Develop an emergency communication plan.
- In case family members get separated during a disaster (a real possibility during the day when adults are at work and children are at school), set up a new meeting.
- Ask a family member or friend who lives out of state to act as a “family contact.” After a disaster, it is often easier to make long distance calls.
- Make sure that all family members know the name, address, and phone number of the contact person.
You know what Alerta verde means.