Definition of Onii-chan
- Older brother or head of the family.
- Friend or member of the same clan for whom you feel admiration and affection.
- Person with very high moral values , and an attitude framed by honesty and respect for others.
- Expression that refers to the platonic love of a girl towards a man older than her.
- Gesture of affection towards a person who is physically attractive.
SYNONYMS FOR ONII-CHAN
- Older brother
ANTONYMS FOR ONII-CHAN
- Otouto (younger brother)
ORIGIN OF ONII-CHAN
It is a variant of the word Onii-san and comes from Japan. It is estimated that it first appeared in 2007 as a term used to give special respect to the elder brother of the family or clan.
Onii means older brother or head of the family. Chan is a suffix that is used as a diminutive that represents affection, admiration and familiarity. The latter works in a similar way to the Spanish suffix “-ito”.
If we combine both words, the term Onii-chan appears, whose literal translation is “little brother”. It should be noted that this term only applies to older male brothers.
CURIOSITIES OF ONII-CHAN
- Oni written with an i refers to a Japanese demon.
- In 2008, a process of dissemination on the internet began to make the meaning of this word known throughout the world.
- In 2015 Onii-san became part of the most used phrases for memes on the internet.
- In anime, onii-chan type characters have a tendency to act serious and superior to their minors.