Definition of Wifi
- It is a wireless connection system. It is used mainly to make internet connections in a certain area. For example: Mom, what happened to the wifi ?
- It was thought that it was an acronym for the brand Wireless Fidelity, however, the name does not respond to a particular meaning. In other words, it was created only as a marketing strategy.
ORIGIN OF WIFI
Wi-Fi began to be part of technology since the time of the Second World War thanks to the actress and inventor Hedy Lamarr. Later, in 1997, the first standard Wi-Fi connection was released. From there, the term became popular and is currently one of the most well-known terms in the world.
The Royal Academy of the Spanish language adopted the word “wifi” as an official term in 2014 and it became effective in the 2015 dictionary. Therefore, it is a word that is fully accepted in Spanish due to its popularity among Spanish speakers.
CURIOSITIES OF WIFI
- Hedy Lamarr was the pioneer in the invention of Wi-Fi and patented it in 1942 under the name “Secret Communication System”.
- The name wifi was born as a brainstorming of striking words to name the wireless communication system.
- “Wifi Ralph” is the name given in Latin America to the second part of the Disney movie called “Wrecking Ralph”.
- Several songs of various genres are called “Wifi”, among them, the artist’s song “Arce” from 2019 and the 2021 theme from “Nicole Gatti” stand out.